Saturday, September 29, 2007

Furniture Junky Annonymous



I am a furniture junkie. There. I said it. I wish I had a 3,000 sq ft house only for the sole purpose of filling it with great pieces of furniture. I love decorating books, shopping online and bargain hunting for the next best piece. I wish my living room was large enough that I could create two different sitting areas...there...again.....not because I want a bigger house, but simply so I could buy more chairs.
Since I think about furniture and often window shop for furniture, I thought I would pass along some good bargain furniture stores that I love. I have two favorites.
1. Just Like The Model in Fountain Valley. This place is like gold. I always find something in their huge warehouse. And when I say huge, I really mean it. The idea behind this great store is that model homes bring their furniture here after the model home is sold. The furniture is technically 'used' since it has been sitting in a model home for however long. The prices are good. And the selection, depending on the shipments that came in, is usually pretty good. They have everything - from couches, to fake plants, to art, to chairs, tables...even bed linens!
One thing to look out for: Really look at the furniture before you buy. The lighting sometimes isn't great and you can later find fabric that has faded or scratches on a table. So make sure you take a good look before you purchase your treasure.
2. Hotel Surplus in Van Nuys. Hotels in LA that have either gone out of business or have just remodeled take their surplus to this great place in Van Nuys. The showroom isn't as large as JLTM, but it's still good. This place is great for dressers and amoires. Unlike JLTM, Hotel Surplus doesn't get as many shipments and usually have the same pieces for longer periods of time. Good news with this, you don't have to go each week. Bad news, if you don't find anything you probably won't for awhile.
With that...happy bargain furniture shopping!

No comments: